- Perth man sentenced for large-scale GST fraud after a decade-long investigation14-11-2018 00:00
A Perth stockbroker was today sentenced to five years’ jail for committing large-scale tax fraud while living in the United States more than a decade ago.
- Scams alert as tax bill due date draws near14-11-2018 00:00
While most taxpayers received a tax refund this year, around one million taxpayers will need to make a payment to the ATO. With the 21 November due date just around the corner, the ATO wants Australians to be on high alert for tax scams, especially the increasing trend of scammers demanding payment through Bitcoin ATMs.
- Sydney tax agent sentenced to five years' jail14-11-2018 00:00
A 42-year-old tax agent was today sentenced in the Sydney District Court to five years’ jail for tax fraud and money laundering, after being convicted of taking more than $75,000 from his clients and the Australian Taxation Office.
- Agent payouts to shift stock14-06-2016 14:00
Agents are being offered double the normal commission to help shift apartments throughout capital cities.
- Chinese airlines eye Qantas14-06-2016 14:00
It could be a matter of time before a Chinese airline tries to buy a strategic stake in Qantas.
- Three in race for port sale14-06-2016 14:00
The auction for the Port of Melbourne has come down to a three-way race with bidders lodging indicative bids.
- ‘ALP’s NBN needs extra $10bn’14-06-2016 14:00
Labor’s NBN policy could require a further $10 billion in taxpayer funding, says a telecommunications analyst.
- Bitcoin overtakes iTunes vouchers as most common payment demanded by tax scammers13-11-2018 23:44
Australians have reported more than 28,000 'scam' attempts to the ATO since July 1, and paid almost $1 million to scammers, the Australian Taxation Office says.
- Former CBUS CIO joins Tasplan board13-11-2018 21:39
People & ProductsTasplan has appointed a former CBUS Super chief investment officer as non-executive director of its board.
- Aussie broad-cap funds slide in market correction13-11-2018 21:37
Funds managementOctober’s market correction saw Australian broad-cap funds slide and a new leader-board established.
- New insurance standards to come at a cost to policyholders: report13-11-2018 21:37
Life/RiskShifting community standards and expectations are driving eight new trends in life insurance which may cost policyholders over $1 billion, according to a new report.
- Westpac teams up with World Bank to launch sustainable bonds13-11-2018 21:35
Funds managementThe World Bank has partnered with two banks, Westpac and BNP Paribas, to launch the first Sustainable Growth Bonds for Australian investors.
- Australia's biggest oil and gas producer wants a carbon price now13-11-2018 19:12
Woodside joins the two other giants of the Australian resources sector, BHP and Rio Tinto, in calling for a domestic carbon price to combat climate change.
- Paul Keating says raising super to 12 per cent will 'barely cut it'13-11-2018 11:57
Former prime minister Paul Keating rejects a Grattan Institute report that suggested keeping compulsory super payments at 9.5 per cent and raising the retirement age to 70.
- How many times did Westpac breach lending laws? The answer could affect house prices13-11-2018 06:54
What happens now that the Federal Court has rejected ASIC's settlement with Westpac over responsible lending breaches? There's an awful lot riding on the outcome, including falls to house prices, writes Michael Janda.
Sean is the founding director of Somerville Advisory Group which includes the Accounting, Corporate, Equity & International divisions. Somerville offers its clients a comprehensive suite of accounting, taxation and corporate services for a broad range of clients, form high net worth individuals through to multi-million dollar corporations and ASX Listed Companies